Wednesday 11 June 2008

Realisation of a Dream has begun

Finally after two years of dreaming, ordering the plans from Ian Farrier and slowly working out how best to realise my F-22, construction has begun.
This has been a real struggle as resources have been very tight, also I originally began thinking with another friend to build together two F-22's but those plans fell through. My own time has been very limited with way too much to deal with at work, plus another project to build a mini-prototype building system, the
click-raft (link included on this blog).

So after many long conversations with my old Estonian friend Jaanus Tamme (Mini-Transat sailor) he introduced me to his friend Toivo Kylvet, a professional boat builder from Estonia.
We emailed back and forth to agree how best to do this, and finally I flew to meet Toivo and his wife in Tallinn a few weeks back to agree a contract and to give him Ian's very thorough set of drawings....
This is a very exciting moment for both of us for Toivo has also taken a big step towards his own dream of establishing his own boat building yard. His new company Ormco Baltic OU
is based at his farm not far from Estonia's capital city of Tallinn.

There is a strong spirit of adventure and excitement between us in the realisation of this joint dream, and I hope to be able to make this F-22 something really exceptional - so that it can also be really good to help kick start Toivo's boat yard and establish his name.

...and now the materials have been ordered....
.... the hardback has been built, and form frames set up ...
.. and the floats have begun construction...
.. internal fiberglass skin, and internal bulkheads taped and fixed...

... by the way on the right is Toivo's own Catamaran under construction



































































































































1 comment:

Chuck the Monk said...

Well I had a 14 feet Swift Catamaran from Prout Brothers sometime in the 1960-ies.

Also something of a dream at that time.

I tried it out in May like the Picture I had recieved with the Swift almost standing with one hull in the air.

Of course I had to try that out.

I did not then know that the rudder in the water was a heightrudder, not a siderudder.

So I capsized in about 5 centigrade water and looked as the tent formed my sail and hulls became smaller and smaller.

Neighbours fished me up but were shocked when I saw that the catamarans mast pointed to the bottom.

Still I had a lot of fun with it and now my cousins grandchildren are still capsizing with it.

Good luck!